Rosa and Hans Daprà built their first house with forge in 1955. Hans Daprà was a trained barrier and the forge has been a part of our house until today. During these years, a petrol pump was installed right in front of the house and a heavy tank was inserted into the soil and rock. The work was conducted mainly manually with the help of an oxcart. Over the years tractors and agricultural machines replaced the horses and it was in 1978 that Schmied Hans shoed his last horse. Over the following years he worked as welder and welded the first water pipeline in Scena/Schenna in laborious handcraft. In the years 1969 till 1980 he also held the function of mayor of Scena/Schenna. During this moving time he wrote history; after a pipe burst, which was caused by a heavy storm in the Masul gorge it was him, the so-called “welding mayor”, who successfully wielded the pipe back together.
The workshop changed over time. A growing number of cars came to Scena/Schenna and petrol was needed. But also inside the house a lot was happening. Rosa Daprà, born Prunner, grew up in an inn and so she was used to deal with holiday guests. In 1956 she was already renting out the first rooms with running cold water and breakfast. The seven children grew up between workshop, petrol pump and holiday guests. This was their regular everyday life.
Soon the former residential house was bursting at the seams. Tourism was booming; rooms and holiday apartments grew more and more in popularity; and at the same time the standards of the visitors rose. The annex and the new car repair shop had been built as early as 1969. But the forge on the right side with hearth and anvil were still standing. Eventually, the house was tore down and replaced with the new “B&B Schmied Hans” featuring 18 en-suite bedrooms, a large breakfast room and a new swimming pool. In the meantime the petrol station was booming; it had been extended and a car wash was added. Son Peter Daprà, a trained car mechanic, took over the petrol station and managed it until the end of October 2012.
In the year 1955 the mother passed all the managerial tasks over to her son Franz and his wife Emmi with the children Johannes, Lukas and Sophie. This was the first time when the family expressed a wish for holiday apartments. Smaller and larger renovations accompanied the family year in year out. In winter 2000/2001 the family built a large car park with new swimming pool and in the year 2007 they purchased the Apartment House Bougainvillea. Today, after a major makeover in winter 2016/2017, the 4-star house offers a total of 23 rooms and 9 apartments.
To Franz and Emmi’s great delight also two of their children chose a career in gastronomy. Today Lukas and Sophie manage hotel and kitchen with great motivation, featuring the third generation; we are also very proud to still welcome guests who have been visiting us since the very beginning. Unfortunately, none of our children or grandchildren have learnt the profession of blacksmith. However, Franz, the current “Schmied Hans”, has great ambitions; he is very handy. Curious? Then we invite you to visit us and discover our forge and of course our rooms and apartments in Scena/Schenna!